Monday, November 10, 2014

You Only Hurt, The One You Love

 
 I wasn't going to blog today. I was mulling a few things over for my next rant, however something happened today that set me off and tied in with one of my musings.
 
Todays rant isn't directed at politicians; it's actually directed at two e-cigarette companies. In my opinion these two set quite the poor example, and actually appear to be doing a fine job validating half the arguments being used against us in ongoing political battles around e-cigarette use.
 
Notice I used the word e-cigarette, not vaporizer. In fact I'm going to use the word I hate the most.
 
Cig-A-Likes
 
I've said before that cig-a-likes irritate me.
 
Lets get started shall we?
 
In Canada there's quite a discussion about the legality of nicotine laden e-liquids since they were "banned" in 2009. We also like to have press freak outs over the "gateway effect" where a user can potentially move from a "benign" product to a more harmful product through association. I believe if you sell smokes, you shouldn't be dealing in vaporizers, and if you deal in vaporizers you shouldn't be hawking cigarettes.
 
Then I walked into a Canadian 7-11 store...
 
 
 
Let me introduce you to Smoke NV. A recent news article mentioned something about them being the dominant player in the convenience store e-cigarette market. I got angry just looking at the display right by the door; and I am very much pro-vaping being a 6 week former tobacco user. So, remembering that I was tweeting to The Honourable Dr. Hedy Fry (BC Member of Parliament who sits on the committee currently discussing e-cigarettes and vaporizers) last week about cig-a-likes I bought one so I could take some pictures.



 
 

Looks like a cigarette, acts like a cigarette; right down to the red glow at the tip when you inhale...
 
Contains 0% nicotine. That's right, it's absolutely useless for anyone looking to swap from cigarettes to a less harmful option because within a few hours you'll be buying the real thing to deal with your addiction.
 
The Smoke NV website "about" page states the product was developed in 2009 by a group of physicians. The Mission Statement reads as follows;
 
Smoke NV is dedicated to providing its consumers with a healthier alternative to smoking. We strive to manufacture smoking alternatives that are not only state-of-the-art, but also safe and easy to use. Our commitment to the integrity of our products and to the integrity of our consumer relations is our number one goal. As a result, Smoke NV has been leading the way by combining superior customer satisfaction, quality products and award-winning service for our retailers and partners.
Enjoy its opulent flavors. Engage in the experience. Escape with Smoke NV.
 
 
You didn't create a healthier alternative. Smokers light up for nicotine; your product has none. So unless I'm wearing 10 Nicoderm patches applied directly to the groin, and chewing enough Nicorette gum that I look like a bovine contemplating life and chewing cud; your product isn't going to do a damned thing for me.
 
You might have been state of the art in 2009. You are 4 generations behind now.
 
You might be "leading the way" but then that's easy when you are the only dolt in the non nicotine cig-a-like market.
 
However I'll give you this; You created one HELL of a 21st Century upgrade to those "Popeye Candy Cigarettes" I used to be able to get when I was a wee lad.
 
 
 
I don't do reviews, I'd point you to Phil Busardo at www.tasteyourjuice.com for reviews; but given that I don't see him stooping so low as to even look at your product, and I actually had to inhale your crap to get the little red light at the end to light up for the photograph allow me to give you some valuable customer feedback (you got my ten bucks so now you get my 2 cents);
 
 
As a Vaper trying to stay off tobacco:
 
Your technology is old.
 
Your Vapor is weak.
 
Your flavor sucks.
 
With no nicotine your product is absolutely useless to me.
 
 
As a Father of 4 preteen children:
 
Your product scares the shit out of me. It was in my house less than an hour so I could photograph it and then I threw the damned thing out before my kids could see it.
 
 
Created by physicians eh? Really?
 
While the Hippocratic oath, does not in fact use the words "First, Do No Harm", I'm pretty sure any physician has heard a thing or two about that phrase.
 
I hope your business rots.
 
Love and Kisses,
 
MadMeathead
 
P.S. I did say two things set me off didn't I. Well the second was a British TV ad for VIP e-cigarettes where a young model makes several intimate statements that could be very easily misconstrued as a solicitation before mentioning the e-cigarette. Poor taste, poor delivery and certain to be stuffed right up our noses by our opponents.
 
 
Frankly though I've blown my wad, I'm spent, done, finished.... (it was a good ad) and I'll get to it another day.
 
 
 
 
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment